Karen Jean Meech
|This article is a clone of a Wikipedia article. It has not yet been vetted by our editors.|
|credited by the MPC, as per August 2016|
She specializes in planetary astronomy, in particular the study of distant comets and their relation to the early solar system. Meech is also very active in professional-amateur collaboration and science teacher education and was the founder of the Towards Planetary Systems (TOPS) high-school teacher / student outreach program that helps educate science teachers in the Pacific islands. She received her Ph.D. in Planetary Sciences in 1987 at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and a B.S. from Rice University in Houston in 1981, and has received several awards in her career, including the Annie J. Cannon Award in Astronomy in 1988 and the American Astronomical Society's H. C. Urey Prize in 1994.
She was a co-investigator on the Deep Impact mission and current co-investigator on the NASA Discovery missions EPOXI and Stardust-NExT. For all three of these missions she has coordinated the world's Earth-based and space-based observing programs. She is the PI of the University of Hawaii NASA Astrobiology Institute lead team which focuses its research on "Water and Habitable Worlds". She is currently the President of the International Astronomical Union Division III (Planetary Systems Science).
References[edit | hide all | hide | edit source]
- "Minor Planet Discoverers (by number)". Minor Planet Center. 20 August 2016. Retrieved 25 August 2016.
- "Faculty list". Institute for Astronomy. Retrieved 10 January 2011.
- Schmadel, Lutz D. (2007). Dictionary of Minor Planet Names – (4367) Meech. Springer Berlin Heidelberg. p. 375. ISBN 978-3-540-00238-3. Retrieved 25 August 2016.
External links[edit | hide | edit source]
- Karen Jean Meech homepage at Institute for Astronomy
- Talk of Karen Jean Meech at the Origins 2011 congress
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 665: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).
|This article uses material from Karen Jean Meech on Wikipedia (view authors). License under CC BY-SA 3.0.|